~~~New hearings have been added in Baker City and Newport. Details below.~~~
The biggest climate legislation in Oregon history is moving forward!
The 2019 Clean Energy Jobs bill was formally introduced earlier this month. The Joint Committee on Carbon Reduction is meeting to consider the bill. A record-breaking 700 people went to Salem last week to call on the Legislature to commit to bold climate action. And public hearings are scheduled around the state over the next few weeks for Oregonians to weigh in on the bill.
Please help keep up the momentum! Come to a hearing in Bend, Medford, Salem, Springfield, or the Dalles. If you can't make any of the hearings, you can still email the committee members.
We have a bill! House Bill 2020
House Bill 2020 lays out the framework for a cap and invest program that reduces greenhouse gas emissions and invests in projects that will benefit Oregonians. It includes key provisions that we’ll need your help to protect as well as some places we’ll need to work together to strengthen.
The bill sets limits on pollution by the state’s largest polluters, and reduces climate pollution with a cap on emissions that gets smaller each year until 2050. It also requires significant near-term reductions by 2035, which are especially important for avoiding the worst climate impacts.
It also generates resources to invest in renewable energy, clean transportation, healthy forests and more across the state. The bill currently includes a priority to direct investments to the communities most impacted by climate change where feasible, but we’ll be working to secure stronger language to ensure that the communities most impacted by climate change receive a majority of the investments.
Make your voice heard!
Legislators need to hear that people want to see bold climate action move forward this spring. Please join us at an upcoming hearing of the Joint Committee on Carbon Reduction:
- Salem: February 15, 1pm at Oregon Capitol, 900 Court Street NE
- Salem: February 18, 5pm at Oregon Capitol, 900 Court Street NE
- Springfield: February 22, noon-3pm at Springfield City Hall, 225 Fifth St.
- Medford: February 23, 9am-noon at Central Medford High School Auditorium, 815 South Oakdale Ave.
- Baker City: Feb 25, 5-6pm, Baker County Fairground Event Center, 2600 East St. (remote via video link)
- Newport: Feb 25, 6-7pm, Oregon State University - Lincoln County Extension Thompson Conference Room First Floor 1211 Southeast Bay Blvd. (remote via video link)
- The Dalles: March 1, noon-3pm at The Dalles Civic Auditorium, 323 East 4th St.
- Bend: March 2, 9am-noon at Central Oregon Community College, Cascade Hall Room 246-248,
2600 NW College Way
If you can’t attend any of the hearings, please email the committee to tell them that climate action can’t wait.
There are many important components to the bill and we’ll likely see a number of good and bad amendments over the coming weeks. Your help will be critical in protecting key provisions and passing the strongest bill possible.