Are you ready? Because this weekend is when we're going to change everything.
As world leaders gather in New York City for the UN Climate Summit later this month, tens of thousands of people will come together in the streets to send a clear message: the time to act on climate change is now.
The epicenter of this massive demonstration will be in the streets of New York, on Sept. 21. But community pressure to take action on climate change is nationwide and worldwide—and demonstrations are taking place all over, including in Washington State.
We invite you and your family to join us in the streets this weekend. On Sept. 21, join the People's Climate March in downtown Seattle—in a major solidarity rally endorsed by Climate Solutions, 350 Seattle, Idle No More, IBEW Local 46, the Transit Riders Union and a host of allied organizations.
On Saturday, Sept. 20, head to the border for Climate Change Knows No Borders—a powerful international climate action at the Peace Arch in Blaine, WA, where we'll speak out to protect our Salish Sea waterways from damage by fossil fuel exports.
Many other People's Climate events are scheduled across the state (details below). Together, we will demand state, national and international action to address climate change and speed our transition to a clean energy economy, with new green jobs and a just transition for workers in fossil fuel industries. Together we can stand up in our own communities to organize, build power, confront the destructive force of fossil fuels, and shift power to a just, safe, peaceful world.
To change everything, we need everybody. That means you. Bring yourself, your friends, your family, neighbors and coworkers. And if you have friends and family in the northeast, call them, email them, tweet at them to make sure they join the big march in downtown New York!
Here's a partial list of Peoples' Climate actions taking place around Washington State. Note that all actions are on Sunday the 21st except the Peace Arch action in Blaine:
- Seattle: People's Climate March at 1pm Sunday, Sept. 21, at Westlake Park, 4th and Pike, Seattle. Facebook event with further updates here. Twitter updates: @MarchSeattle.
- Peace Arch: Climate Change Knows No Borders international rally at 1pm Saturday, Sept. 20 at the Peace Arch in Blaine, WA. Facebook page here; carpool information here.
- Spokane, WA: People's Climate March and Rally at 1pm Sunday, Sept 21. Gather on W 5th Avenue between Browne and Division, Spokane.
- Puyallup, WA: People's Climate March at 1pm Sunday, Sept. 21, at Pioneer Park, Puyallup CIty Hall, 333 S. Meridian, Puyallup.
- Walla Walla, WA: People's Climate March at 1:30pm Sunday, Sept. 21. Gather at Reid Campus Center, Whitman College and march to Pioneer Park, at Alder and Division, Walla Walla.
- Pullman, WA/Moscow, ID: The Palouse March for Survival along the Pullman-Moscow Chipman trail starts at 2pm on Sunday, Sept. 21 at the Quality Inn parking lot, 1400 SE Bishop Blvd, Pullman.
Visit PeoplesClimate.org to learn more, and to find more action locations near you.
We hope that you feel as we do: that this is a pivotal time for our efforts to turn the tide on carbon pollution, and to demand and win real climate solutions. Together, we can do it; we must; and we will...see you this weekend!